Monday, December 12, 2016

Monday December 12: Continuing "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (parts V, VI, and VII)

Monday December 12:
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
(parts V, VI, and VII)









Today we will review both 63-66 (again) and the sections you were meant to read to begin this week (67-92).


I will pick one student to read a stanza, starting on stanza 92.
I will pick a second to paraphrase or ask a question.
I will then ask a third for a theme.
Then, we will move on to the next stanza.


Picking up from 92, we will be finishing this piece by Wednesday.

You will have your final opportunity to make up work with me this week. If there is anything you are missing, come see me to resolve any potential grading issues before it's too late!


Learning Targets:

I can determine two or more themes or central ideas of a text and analyze their development over the course of the text, including how they interact and build on one another to produce a complex account; provide an objective summary of the text.

I can analyze the impact of the author's choices regarding how to develop and relate elements of a story or drama (e.g., where a story is set, how the action is ordered, how the characters are introduced and developed).
I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including words with multiple meanings or language that is particularly fresh, engaging, or beautiful.
I can analyze how an author's choices concerning how to structure specific parts of a text (e.g., the choice of where to begin or end a story, the choice to provide a comedic or tragic resolution) contribute to its overall structure and meaning as well as its aesthetic impact.
I can evaluate a speaker's point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, assessing the stance, premises, links among ideas, word choice, points of emphasis, and tone used.


Elements of Romanticism


Love of Nature:
Romantic thinkers
venerated (REALLY
respected) the natural
world and the environment.

Idealization of Rural Living: They    viewed rural (country- opposite of urban/city) life as ideal and perfect.   

Faith in Common People: They respected all people including peasants (not just the elite or 1%!).

Emphasis on Freedom and Individualism: Rather than focusing on groups of people, Romantic thinkers valued individual humans and their individual rights.

Spontaneity (Doing things impulsively/in the moment), Intuition (Gut instinct/Educated Guesses), Feeling
(Emotions), Imagination (Creating things from one's mind), Wonder (Awe/When one's jaw drops): All of these concepts are associated with Romanticism.

Passionate individual religiosity: Individual humans could worship and demonstrate faith rather than belonging to religious groups or institutions.

Life after Death: They believed that human life did not end in physical death.  Heaven existed.
Organic View of the World: They believed that everything in this world was connected- similar to Aristotle's Great Chain of Being.


Major Themes of “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”

The Natural World: The Physical

While it can be beautiful and frightening (often
simultaneously), the natural world's power in "The
Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is unquestionable.

The Spiritual World: The Metaphysical

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" occurs in the
natural, physical world-the land and ocean.
However, the work has popularly been interpreted as
an allegory of man's connection to the spiritual,
metaphysical world.

Liminality

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" typifies the
Romantic fascination with liminal spaces. A liminal
space is defined as a place on the edge of a realm or
between two realms, whether a forest and a field, or
reason and imagination.
Imprisonment

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is in many ways a
portrait of imprisonment and its inherent loneliness
and torment.

Retribution

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is a tale of
retribution, since the Ancient Mariner spends most of
the poem paying for his one, impulsive error of
killing the Albatross.










  1.  The Natural World (It can be beautiful and frightening and powerful) (often simultaneously),
  2. The Spiritual World: The Metaphysical (The poem occurs in the natural, physical world-the land and ocean. However, the work has popularly been interpreted as an allegory of man's connection to the spiritual, metaphysical world.
  3. Liminality-"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" typifies the Romantic fascination with liminal spaces. A liminal space is defined as a place on the edge of a realm or between two realms, whether a forest and a field, or reason and imagination.
  4. Imprisonment-"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is in many ways a portrait of imprisonment and its inherent loneliness and torment.
  5. Retribution-The poem is a tale of retribution, since the Ancient Mariner spends most of the poem paying for his one, impulsive error of killing the Albatross.


The following stanzas, from the end of part IV, are the climax of the poem.


You will have a quick write assignment about them Thursday.


There is no excuse for not being ready to write when the time comes!



63. Beyond the shadow of the ship
I watched the water-snakes:
They moved in tracks of shining white,
And when they reared, the elfish light
Fell off in hoary flakes.

64. Within the shadow of the ship
I watched their rich attire:
Blue, glossy green, and velvet black,
They coiled and swam; and every track
Was a flash of golden fire.

65. O happy living things! no tongue                      
Their beauty might declare:
A spring of love gushed from my heart,    
And I blessed them unaware:
Sure my kind saint took pity on me,                    
And I blessed them unaware.

66. The selfsame moment I could pray;
And from my neck so free
The Albatross fell off, and sank
Like lead into the sea."

 


 _____________________________________________________________________________________


Part V

 
67. "Oh sleep! it is a gentle thing,
Beloved from pole to pole!                                     
To Mary Queen the praise be given!
She sent the gentle sleep from heaven,                         
That slid into my soul.
 
68. The silly buckets on the deck,
That had so long remained,
I dreamt that they were filled with dew;
And when I awoke, it rained.
 
69. My lips were wet, my throat was cold,
My garments all were dank;
Sure I had drunken in my dreams,
And still my body drank.
 
70. I moved, and could not feel my limbs:
I was so light -almost
I thought that I had died in sleep,
And was a blessed ghost.
 
71. And soon I heard a roaring wind:
It did not come anear;
But with its sound it shook the sails,                      
That were so thin and sere.
 
72. The upper air burst into life!
And a hundred fire-flags sheen,
To and fro they were hurried about!
And to and fro, and in and out,                              
The wan stars danced between.
 
73. And the coming wind did roar more loud,
And the sails did sigh like sedge;                            
And the rain poured down from one black cloud;
The moon was at its edge.
 
74.The thick black cloud was cleft, and still
The moon was at its side:                                       
Like waters shot from some high crag,                   
The lightning fell with never a jag,
A river steep and wide.


75.The loud wind never reached the ship,
Yet now the ship moved on!
Beneath the lightning and the moon
The dead men gave a groan.
 
76. They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose,
Nor spake, nor moved their eyes;                                  
It had been strange, even in a dream,
To have seen those dead men rise.                                
 
 
 
77. The helmsman steered, the ship moved on;
Yet never a breeze up blew;
The mariners all 'gan work the ropes,
Where they were wont to do;
They raised their limbs like lifeless tools -
We were a ghastly crew.
78. The body of my brother's son
Stood by me, knee to knee:
The body and I pulled at one rope,
But he said nought to me."
 
79. `I fear thee, ancient Mariner!'
"Be calm, thou Wedding-Guest!
'Twas not those souls that fled in pain,
Which to their corses came again,
But a troop of spirits blest:
 
80. For when it dawned -they dropped their arms,                  
And clustered round the mast;                                                 
Sweet sounds rose slowly through their mouths,                      
And from their bodies passed.
 
81. Around, around, flew each sweet sound,
Then darted to the sun;
Slowly the sounds came back again,
Now mixed, now one by one.
 
82. Sometimes a-dropping from the sky
I heard the skylark sing;
Sometimes all little birds that are,
How they seemed to fill the sea and air
With their sweet jargoning!
 
83. And now 'twas like all instruments,             
Now like a lonely flute;                                     
And now it is an angel's song,                             
That makes the heavens be mute. 
 
84. It ceased; yet still the sails made on
A pleasant noise till noon,
A noise like of a hidden brook
In the leafy month of June,
That to the sleeping woods all night
Singeth a quiet tune.
 
85. Till noon we quietly sailed on,
Yet never a breeze did breathe;
Slowly and smoothly went the ship,
Moved onward from beneath.
 
86. Under the keel nine fathom deep,
From the land of mist and snow,                              
The spirit slid: and it was he
That made the ship to go.                                         
The sails at noon left off their tune,
And the ship stood still also.
 
87. The sun, right up above the mast,
Had fixed her to the ocean:
But in a minute she 'gan stir,
With a short uneasy motion -
Backwards and forwards half her length
With a short uneasy motion.
 
88. Then like a pawing horse let go,
She made a sudden bound:
It flung the blood into my head,
And I fell down in a swound.
 
89. How long in that same fit I lay,          
I have not to declare;
But ere my living life returned,
I heard and in my soul discerned
Two voices in the air.
 
90. `Is it he?' quoth one, `Is this the man?
By him who died on cross,
With his cruel bow he laid full low
The harmless Albatross.
 
 
91. The spirit who bideth by himself
In the land of mist and snow,
He loved the bird that loved the man
Who shot him with his bow'
 
92. The other was a softer voice,                             
As soft as honey-dew:
Quoth he, `The man hath penance done,
And penance more will do.'                                     
 

 


____________________________________


Part VI


 


93. First Voice


 


But tell me, tell me! speak again,


Thy soft response renewing -


What makes that ship drive on so fast?


What is the ocean doing?


 


94. Second Voice


 


Still as a slave before his lord,


The ocean hath no blast;


His great bright eye most silently


Up to the moon is cast -


 


95. If he may know which way to go;


For she guides him smooth or grim.              Who is “she”?  ________________________________


See, brother, see! how graciously


She looketh down on him.                              ____________________________________________


 


96. First Voice


 


But why drives on that ship so fast,


Without or wave or wind?


 


97. Second Voice


 


The air is cut away before,


And closes from behind.


 


Fly, brother, fly! more high, more high!


Or we shall be belated:                                    define abate _______________________________


For slow and slow that ship will go,


When the Mariner's trance is abated.


 


98. "I woke, and we were sailing on


As in a gentle weather:


'Twas night, calm night, the moon was high;


The dead men stood together.


 


99. All stood together on the deck,


For a charnel-dungeon fitter:


All fixed on me their stony eyes,


That in the moon did glitter.


 


100. The pang, the curse, with which they died,


Had never passed away:


I could not draw my eyes from theirs,


Nor turn them up to pray.


 


 


 


101. And now this spell was snapped: once more


I viewed the ocean green,


And looked far forth, yet little saw


Of what had else been seen -


 


102. Like one that on a lonesome road


Doth walk in fear and dread,


And having once turned round walks on,


And turns no more his head;


Because he knows a frightful fiend


Doth close behind him tread.


 


103. But soon there breathed a wind on me,


Nor sound nor motion made:


Its path was not upon the sea,


In ripple or in shade.


 


104. It raised my hair, it fanned my cheek


Like a meadow-gale of spring -


It mingled strangely with my fears,


Yet it felt like a welcoming.


 


105. Swiftly, swiftly flew the ship,


Yet she sailed softly too:


Sweetly, sweetly blew the breeze -


On me alone it blew.


 


106. Oh! dream of joy! is this indeed              Where has the mariner returned to? (text)


The lighthouse top I see?


Is this the hill? is this the kirk?                      _____________________________________________


Is this mine own country?


 


107. We drifted o'er the harbour-bar,


And I with sobs did pray -


O let me be awake, my God!


Or let me sleep alway.


 


108. The harbour-bay was clear as glass,


So smoothly it was strewn!


And on the bay the moonlight lay,


And the shadow of the moon.


 


109. The rock shone bright, the kirk no less,


That stands above the rock:


The moonlight steeped in silentness


The steady weathercock.*                                    *weathervane


 


110. And the bay was white with silent light,


Till rising from the same,


Full many shapes, that shadows were,


In crimson colours came.


 


 


111. A little distance from the prow


Those crimson shadows were:


I turned my eyes upon the deck -


Oh, Christ! what saw I there!


 


112. Each corse lay flat, lifeless and flat,


And, by the holy rood!                                   define seraph ___________________________________


A man all light, a seraph-man,


On every corse there stood.                          What were the seraphs standing over? ________________


 


113. This seraph-band, each waved his hand:


It was a heavenly sight!


They stood as signals to the land,


Each one a lovely light;


 


114. This seraph-band, each waved his hand,


No voice did they impart -


No voice; but oh! the silence sank


Like music on my heart.


 


115. But soon I heard the dash of oars,


I heard the Pilot's cheer;


My head was turned perforce away,


And I saw a boat appear.


 


116. The Pilot and the Pilot's boy,


I heard them coming fast:


Dear Lord in heaven! it was a joy


The dead men could not blast.


 


117. I saw a third -I heard his voice:


It is the Hermit good!


He singeth loud his godly hymns


That he makes in the wood.                             define to shrieve______________________________


He'll shrieve my soul, he'll wash away


The Albatross's blood."


 


 
________________________________________________________


Part VII


 


118. "This Hermit good lives in that wood


Which slopes down to the sea.


How loudly his sweet voice he rears!


He loves to talk with marineers


That come from a far country.


 


119. He kneels at morn, and noon, and eve -            Where does the mariner pray?  (text)


He hath a cushion plump:


It is the moss that wholly hides                                  _________________________________________


The rotted old oak-stump.


 


 


 


120. The skiff-boat neared: I heard them talk,


`Why, this is strange, I trow!


Where are those lights so many and fair,


That signal made but now?'


 


121.  `Strange, by my faith!' the Hermit said -


`And they answered not our cheer!


The planks looked warped! and see those sails,


How thin they are and sere!


I never saw aught like to them,


Unless perchance it were


 


121. Brown skeletons of leaves that lag              To what are the sere sails compared?


My forest-brook along;


When the ivy-tod is heavy with snow,                   __________________________________________


And the owlet whoops to the wolf below,


That eats the she-wolf's young.'


 


122. `Dear Lord! it hath a fiendish look -


(The Pilot made reply)


I am afeared' -`Push on, push on!'


Said the Hermit cheerily.


 


123. The boat came closer to the ship,


But I nor spake nor stirred;


The boat came close beneath the ship,


And straight a sound was heard.


 


124.  Under the water it rumbled on,                   What happened to the ship? (text)


Still louder and more dread:


It reached the ship, it split the bay;                      ______________________________________________


The ship went down like lead.


 


125. Stunned by that loud and dreadful sound,


Which sky and ocean smote,


Like one that hath been seven days drowned


My body lay afloat;


But swift as dreams, myself I found


Within the Pilot's boat.


 


126. Upon the whirl where sank the ship


The boat spun round and round;


And all was still, save that the hill


Was telling of the sound.


 


127. I moved my lips -the Pilot shrieked


And fell down in a fit;


The holy Hermit raised his eyes,


And prayed where he did sit.


 


 


 


 


128. I took the oars: the Pilot's boy,


Who now doth crazy go,                                  What is the Pilot boys’s perception of the mariner? (text)


Laughed loud and long, and all the while


His eyes went to and fro.                                  _________________________________________


`Ha! ha!' quoth he, `full plain I see,


The Devil knows how to row.'


 


129. And now, all in my own country,


I stood on the firm land!


The Hermit stepped forth from the boat,


And scarcely he could stand.


 


130. O shrieve me, shrieve me, holy man!


The Hermit crossed his brow.


`Say quick,' quoth he `I bid thee say -


What manner of man art thou?'


 


131. Forthwith this frame of mine was wrenched     What was the mariner compelled to do when he saw


With a woeful agony,                                                 the hermit? (text)


Which forced me to begin my tale;                     _____________________________________________


And then it left me free.                                      _____________________________________________


 


132. Since then, at an uncertain hour,


That agony returns;


And till my ghastly tale is told,


This heart within me burns.


 


133. I pass, like night, from land to land;                 What is the mariner’s penance?


I have strange power of speech;


That moment that his face I see,                              _______________________________________


I know the man that must hear me:


To him my tale I teach.                                            ________________________________________


 


134. What loud uproar bursts from that door!


The wedding-guests are there:


But in the garden-bower the bride


And bride-maids singing are;


And hark the little vesper bell,


Which biddeth me to prayer!


 


135. O Wedding-Guest! this soul hath been


Alone on a wide wide sea:


So lonely 'twas, that God himself


Scarce seemed there to be.


 


136. O sweeter than the marriage-feast,


'Tis sweeter far to me,


To walk together to the kirk


With a goodly company! -


 


 


 


 


137. To walk together to the kirk,


And all together pray,


While each to his great Father bends,


Old men, and babes, and loving friends,


And youths and maidens gay!


 


138. Farewell, farewell! but this I tell                       According to the mariner, how does one


To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!                                 demonstrate a love for god?


He prayeth well, who loveth well


Both man and bird and beast.                                   ____________________________________________


 


139. He prayeth best, who loveth best


All things both great and small;


For the dear God who loveth us,


He made and loveth all."


 


140. The Mariner, whose eye is bright,


Whose beard with age is hoar,                               define hoar _______________________________


Is gone; and now the Wedding-Guest


Turned from the bridegroom's door.


 


141. He went like one that hath been stunned,


And is of sense forlorn:


A sadder and a wiser man


He rose the morrow morn.






No comments:

Post a Comment