Sunday, September 18, 2016

Monday, September 19 Hamlet Act I.i

Image result for hamlet and horatio friendship

Important information: If you are missing work, please check your parent connect. Anyone who did not take last Wednesday's vocabulary quiz should make arrangements to do so, if you would like to get rid of the zero that is there now. You may not make up work in class.
Some folks did not turn in their cultural iceberg essay. If you were new to the class last week please check the blog for Thursday, September 8.If you have further questions, please see me.

The Hamlet graphic organizer for Act I.i. is being reviewed today. As well, we are working on ActI.ii. If you do not finish this graphic organizer in class, please do so for homework. We will be going over it in class tomorrow. 
Learning targetsI can cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.
I can analyze the impact of the author's choices regarding how to develop and relate elements of a story or drama.
I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings.
Coming up: Hamlet vocabulary 2 quiz on Friday, September 23
                    power point review for Hamlet vocab 2 on Thursday
   
In class: Hamlet, Act I.ii.
             Take out your text and graphic organizer.
             
    



Name___________________________
Hamlet  Act I.i. responses  for each of the following, use specific text lines.
Act I.i.

  1. Despite having told Horatio that he has twice seen the ghost, what is Horatio’s belief in terms of this phantasmagoria? (I.i.23)
"tis but our fancy"

  1. How specifically is the ghost attired? (I.i.41) and (I.i.47-48)
"In the same figure like the king's that dead" (I.i.41)

"Together with that fair and warlike form / In which the majesty of buried Denmark / did sometimes march?) 


  1. Sixteenth and seventeenth century England fervently believed in spirits; they were a superstitious lot, as well. Also, remember that the theatre patronage depended ultimately upon the patronage of the monarch, so the plays often make allusions to important figures as a means of referencing their own leader. To whom does Horatio allude? (I.i.114)
"A little ere the mightiest Julius fell" (I.i.114)   Julius Caesar



  1.  Write three lines that speak to what occurred previously and could possibly portend some other malady. (I.i.115-20)
        "The graves stood tenantless, and the sheeted dead
      Did squeak and gibber in the Roman streets,
      As stars with trains of fire and dews of blood,
      Disasters in the sun, and the moist star,
      Upon whose influence Neptune's empire stands,
      Was sick almost to doomsday with eclipse" (I.i.115-20)



  1. When does the ghost disappear? (I.i.147)
        "It was about to speak when the cock crew" (I.i.147)

6.  Again with superstitions to which the audience will relate: The ghost leaves when the "morn in russet mantle (example of imagery!) [is] clad...and faded on the crowing of the cock." This because ghosts cannot abide the light. According to Marcellus, at what other time of the year will we find no ghosts treading about? (I.i.157-59).
  "Where in our savior's birth is celebrated" (I.i.159)


Name________________________ Hamlet  I.ii
            Negative feeling: dole                                         Positive feeling: delight
1.      Look at the following lines and decide where Claudius’ oxymorons (figurative language term for contrasting terms) falls: I.ii.10-15.   

           
           

2.      Why has Laertes come to Denmark and to where does he wish to return? (I.ii.50-53).

3.      Hamlet makes his sullen entrance. When Claudius asks him: “How is it that the clouds still hang on you?” (I.ii.67), Hamlet replies: “Not so, my lord. I am too much in the sun.”(I.ii.67). Explain this pun.


4.      What reasons does Claudius give to Hamlet, so that the prince will stop grieving over his father’s death? (I.ii. 94-99).
1.____________________________________   2._________________________________-
3.___________________________________      4.__________________________________
5. ___________________________________      6.__________________________________



  6. Again with superstitions to which the audience will relate: The ghost leaves when the “morn in russet mantle (example of imagery!) [is] clad…[and] faded on the crowing of the cock.”   This is because ghosts cannot abide the light.  According to Marcellus, at what other time of year will we find no ghosts treading about? (I.i.157-59)



Hamlet by William Shakespeare Vocabulary Quiz #2 Friday, September 23

The quiz will be 10 matching and 10 contextual sentences

1.    obstinate- (adjective)- firmly or stubbornly adhering to one’s purpose, opinion
2.    slander- (noun)- to make a false and damaging statements about someone
3.    condolence- (noun)-expression of sympathy towards a person who is suffering sorrows, misfortune, or grief.
4.    filial- (adjective)- of, pertaining to, or befitting a son or daughter
5.    cunning- (adjective) skillfully achieving one’s end by deceit
6.    conscience- (noun) the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one’s conduct or motives
7.    melancholy- (noun) a gloomy state of mind, especially when prolonged; depression
8.    neglected- (adjective)- give little attention or respect
9. absurd- (adjective) illogical, or untrue, total nonsense       
10. treachery- (noun)- willful betrayal of trust; deception



No comments:

Post a Comment