Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Thursday, September 15 Hamlet Act I, scene i and line 125 of scene ii.






We’re looking for individuals to assist with characters (and/or be one of our PBS Characters!), help direct people, or help with one of the many activities we have for all ages! Students, parents, and teachers are all welcome to volunteer!

The shifts are 9am – 12:15pm, 12pm – 3:15pm, or you can opt to stay for both shifts. Breakfast and Lunch will be provided for all staff and volunteers.

You can either contact me for any questions or to sign-up for volunteer shifts and/or Carolyn Reynolds at (585) 258-0249 or creynolds@wxxi.org. Please respond by September 20th so that we know how much food we’ll need and so we can keep track of how many volunteers we have and/or need for specific roles.

Look for an e-mail soon about a meeting we’ll be holding for volunteers next week! Attached is a flyer about our Open House

Image result for barnardo and marcellus

"Who's there? (I.i.1)
Learning targets: I can cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.
I can analyze the impact of the author's choices regarding how to develop and relate elements of a story or drama.
I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings.
Take out your notebook and write number 3
Copy out the definition of soliloquy.
Answer this question: what is the purpose of a soliloquy in drama?

 Image result for soliloquy

 In class: listing to Act I, scene i and scene ii and responding to text based questions with evidence from the scenes. 
This is due at the close of class. Finish it for homework, if needed.
class handouts:
Name___________________________
Hamlet  Act I.i. responses  for each of the following, use specific text lines.
Act I.i.

  1. Despite having told Horatio that he has twice seen the ghost, what is Horatio’s belief in terms of this phantasmagoria? (I.i.23)


  1. How specifically is the ghost attired? (I.i.41) and (I.i.47-48)





  1. Sixteenth and seventeenth century England fervently believed in spirits; they were a superstitious lot, as well. As well, remember that the theatre patronage depended ultimately upon the patronage of the monarch, so the plays often make allusions to important figures as a means of referencing their own leader. To whom does Horatio allude? (I.i.114)



  1.  Write three lines that speak to what occurred previously and could possibly portend some other malady. (I.i.115-20)






  1. When does the ghost disappear? (I.i.147)


Name________________________ Hamlet  I.ii
            Negative feeling: dole                                         Positive feeling: delight
1.      Look at the following lines and decide where Claudius’ oxymorons (figurative language term for contrasting terms) falls: I.ii.10-15.   

           
          

2.      Why has Laertes come to Denmark and to where does he wish to return? (I.ii.50-53).

3.      Hamlet makes his sullen entrance. When Claudius asks him: “How is it that the clouds still hang on you?” (I.ii.67), Hamlet replies: “Not so, my lord. I am too much in the sun.”(I.ii.67). Explain this pun.


 
4.      What reasons does Claudius give to Hamlet, so that the prince will stop grieving over his father’s death? (I.ii. 94-99).
1.____________________________________   2._________________________________-
3.___________________________________      4.__________________________________
5. ___________________________________      6.__________________________________



  

      





    6. Again with superstitions to which the audience will relate: The ghost leaves when the “morn in russet mantle (example of imagery!) [is] clad…[and] faded on the crowing of the cock.”   This is because ghosts cannot abide the light.  According to Marcellus, at what other time of year will we find no ghosts treading about? (I.i.157-59)






No comments:

Post a Comment