Sunday, October 2, 2016

Monday, October 3 Hamlet Act II, scene II, beginning with line 225 conversation Hamlet with Guildenstern and Rosencrantz


Image result for compass

Image result for hamlet with rosencrantz and guildenstern

Hamlet with his friends Rosencrantz and Guidenstern\

Learning targets: I can cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.

I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including words with multiple meanings or language that is particularly fresh, engaging, or beautiful.

Coming up: Wednesday- power point review for Hamlet vocabulary 4  (copy of words passed out last Friday below)
                     Thursday, Hamlet vocabulary 4 quiz

Today's class: the graphic organizer handed out by Mr. Clarkin on Friday is due now! This is the exchange between Polonius and Hamlet in Act Two, Scene two, which focused on Polonius's asides. (II.ii.167-219). This is the exchange between Polonius and Hamlet. Note that if you did not have a legal absence, this is due at the beginning of the class tomorrow. I've included a copy below.

Take out your Hamlet text and put in on your desk. No, you may not leave the room to get it. Zero or 100.

In class review of Polonius's conversation with Hamlet from Friday. (class handout / copy below).
              Hamlet text check
              Listening to the conversation between Hamlet and his two school friends Rosencrantz and Guidenstern. When you have finished the questions, turn to II.ii.225.
(recording 6:52)
               Look over the following:

 Please note:
 1. At the beginning the bawdy (dealing with sexual matters in a comical way)banter amongst the friends. What's the purpose this?

2. Why does Hamlet refer to Denmark as a prison?

3. Think about this statement made by Hamlet: "There is nothing either good or bad that thinking makes it so" (II.ii.253-4).  What does this mean?

4. Think about this statement made by Hamlet: "I could be bounded in a nut shell and count myself a king of infinite space" (II.ii.258-9). How is this possible? Explain.

5) What does Hamlet mean when he says: "I am mad but north- northwest: when the / wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" (II.ii.386-87). Explain this metaphor.


Image result for compass




Hamlet Act II.ii Name ___________________________      review of Polonius’ and Hamlet’s conversation.
Please answer the following:

Please answer the following questions from the text. 

A. Polonius: Do you know me, my lord.
     Hamlet:   Excellent well. You are a fishmonger?
 Question 1: Why does Hamlet call Polonius a fishmonger?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

B. Polonius: What is the matter my lord?
    Hamlet:    Between who?
    Polonius:  I mean the matter that you read, my lord.
Question 2:   What is the pun in the above exchange. Explain.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

C. Polonius: [aside] Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
  Question 3: Why does Polonius use an aside here?

________________________________________________________________________________________________
  Question 4: What does Polonius mean by this statement?

________________________________________________________________________________________________





Hamlet vocabulary 4  list; quiz on Thursday, Oct 6


  1. remembrance  (noun) –greeting or gift recalling friendship or affection                   
  2.  origin  (noun)- the point or place where something begins                                
  3. tedious  (adjective)- lacking in mental interest, boring                                
  4.  to indict (verb)- to accuse of a crime                             
  5.  to devise –(verb)- to create a plan                              
  6.  to pester – (verb)-to annoy someone                             
  7.  misogynistic-(adjective)-  having a derogatory attitude towards women                  
  8.  torment –(noun) or to torment (verb)- having or creating an intense feeling of pain                            
  9. lunacy       (noun)- a state of senseless behavior                              
  10. potent (adjective)- having force or authority 
    Two more challenging bonus questions follow.
    Text
    Questions
    Enter HAMLET, reading

    POLONIUS
    How does my good Lord Hamlet?
    HAMLET
    Well, God-a-mercy.
    LORD POLONIUS
    Do you know me, my lord?
    HAMLET
    Excellent well; you are a fishmonger.
    LORD POLONIUS
    Not I, my lord.
    HAMLET
    Then I would you were so honest a man.
    LORD POLONIUS
    Honest, my lord!
    HAMLET
    Ay, sir; to be honest, as this world goes, is to be
    one man picked out of ten thousand.
    LORD POLONIUS
    That's very true, my lord.
    HAMLET
    For if the sun breed maggots in a dead dog, being a
    god kissing carrion,--Have you a daughter?
    LORD POLONIUS
    I have, my lord.
    HAMLET
    Let her not walk i' the sun: conception is a
    blessing: but not as your daughter may conceive.
    Friend, look to '

    LORD POLONIUS
    [Aside] How say you by that? Still harping on my daughter: yet he knew me not at first; he said I
    was a fishmonger: he is far gone, far gone: and
    truly in my youth I suffered much extremity for
    love; very near this. I'll speak to him again.
    What does Polonius suspect is wrong with Hamlet, and what does he suspect is the cause?







    -What do you read, my lord?
    HAMLET
    Words, words, words.
    LORD POLONIUS
    What is the matter, my lord?
    HAMLET
    Between who?
    LORD POLONIUS
    I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.
    HAMLET
    Slanders, sir: for the satirical rogue says here
    that old men have grey beards, that their faces are
    wrinkled, their eyes purging thick amber and
    plum-tree gum and that they have a plentiful lack of
    wit, together with most weak hams: all which, sir,
    though I most powerfully and potently believe, yet
    I hold it not honesty to have it thus set down, for
    yourself, sir, should be old as I am, if like a crab
    you could go backward.

    LORD POLONIUS
    [Aside]
    Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't.
    What does Polonius mean by “there be method in” Hamlet’s madness?
    Will you walk out of the air, my lord?
    HAMLET
    Into my grave.
    LORD POLONIUS
    Indeed, that is out o' the air.

    [Aside]
    How pregnant sometimes his replies are! a happiness
    that often madness hits on, which reason and sanity
    could not so prosperously be delivered of. I will
    leave him, and suddenly contrive the means of
    meeting between him and my daughter.
    What does Polonius intend to do next?
    --My honourable
    lord, I will most humbly take my leave of you.
    HAMLET
    You cannot, sir, take from me any thing that I will
    more willingly part withal: except my life, except
    my life, except my life.

    ENTER GUILDENSTERN AND ROSENCRANTZ

    LORD POLONIUS
    Fare you well, my lord.
    HAMLET: These tedious old fools!


    LORD POLONIUS
    You go to seek the Lord Hamelet? There he is.


    ROSENCRANTZ: [To Polonius] God save you, sir!
    Bonus 1:
    Some sources label Hamlet's final line in this selection is an aside, others do not.
    Why do you suppose that is?
    Hint: Imagine what is happening on stage!


    Bonus 2: What is notably different about the section of the text from 171-558?
                     Hint: Look at the text before and after the section running from 171 to 558 in your text!
                             
  11.    Read the selected passage. Answer the three questions that appear in the right column. 

No comments:

Post a Comment